Monday, June 23, 2008

Vincent van Gogh

It's been five years, almost to the day, since I moved out to California. When I got the call offering me the job in Sonora I remember exactly what I was doing -- reading a biography on Vincent van Gogh.


My fascination with van Gogh -- the art, the madness, the ear, the suicide -- naturally lead us to the Vincent van Gogh Museum here in Amsterdam.

The museum is the world's largest collection of works by van Gogh. It houses more than 200 paintings, including many of his famous masterpieces. To the disappointment of many, van Gogh's most well-known painting, "Starry Night," is currently on loan to a museum in New York City.

We still saw lots of others, like "Fishing Boats on the Beach at Saintes-Maries," "Fourteen Sunflowers in a Vase" and "Wheat Fields with Reaper at Sunrise."




Babies and art museums are usually a tricky combination so we had to act quick. Like in most museums, you're not allowed to take photographs so I'm posting some photos from "van Gogh's World of Color," a Baby Einstein book. Amber got Ediza the book before we left for our trip.

At the museum, we bought this small canvas print of van Gogh's "Almond Blossom."


I've always really liked Don McLean's song, "Vincent," so I think I'll end this post with lyrics to the song's chorus:


"For they could not love you, but still your love was true
And when no hope was left in sight, on that starry starry night
You took your life as lovers often do,
But I could have told you, Vincent,
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We miss you all soooo much! Keep having an amazing time. Cant wait for you to be home!!!

Love Love Love

(auntie) andrea and family