Sunday, February 7, 2010

Whirlwind


We continue our journey visiting the movers and shakers of Delhi. I'm now staying at my fourth home (at the last home they export clothes to Europe, while here they manufacture cables).

The last few days have taken us from the Rotary Blood Bank and the Dilli Haat market to Humayun's Tomb (a world heritage monument) and the National Museum. At the museum, we saw a fascinating exhibit of miniature paintings on Indian mythology.

Mary (the Rotarian team leader) and I were the only ones to go to the museum as Michelle and Carin went to visit a doctor and Scott (the other guy) is in the hospital recovering from pneumonia. Not to worry, everyone will be OK.

I visited Scott in the hospital yesterday before a lunch meeting where we did our fourth presentation followed by a visit to a Hindu temple called Birla Mandir. I was then picked up by my driver in a brand new black BMW and taken to my home to get ready for a wedding.

I got dressed in my beautiful new kurta, which was given to me by a Rotarian named Neeraj (the above photo was taken during a rooftop party at his house the other night). On the way to the wedding, I stopped by the house where Michelle and Carin are staying. This house is more like a hotel as it has an atrium and an elevator.

From there, we made our way to the wedding. Driving up and and getting out of the car felt like we were arriving for the Oscars. We witnessed the end of the marriage ceremony before entering a giant tent where the elaborate after party was hosted. A small army served guests anything they wanted to eat or drink.



On the flip side of life, today we visited slums to vaccinate children from polio. We each got to give children two drops of the vaccine on their tongue before marking their left pinky for proof that they were vaccinated. We went to two sites followed by lunch at a fancy restaurant where we drank beer and ate chocolate souffle for dessert.

Trying to process all that I've seen lately, I head back home in a nice car with a driver who speaks little English. Playing on my iPod is a cover version of Bob Marley's "One Love." I look out the window and see a public transportation bus driving next to the car. Looking out the bus window is an Indian guy about my age also wearing headphones. We stare at each other for a good couple of seconds almost as if we're both wondering what it would feel like to be the other. He smiles, I smile back. He waves, I wave back. The car and the bus criss-cross in the crazy Delhi traffic and we disappear from each other's sight.

No comments: